26 February 2013

Holidays for 2013

Just back from the long car trip, it is time to.... think about new holidays.
Where will we be going in 2013?
First of all we have to go around the event: no travelling after April and before September. We will be enjoying the cold-rainy-depressing Dutch summer.

Maybe in April we will see if we can go to the Peppa Pig park http://peppapigworld.co.uk/home. We need to see if we can fit it with the last preparations and stress, for sure it would be a big present for the kids knowing that in short they will  be constrained to tighter limits due to the new addition.

And then there is September, and so many warm places to go to.
This year I would prefer avoiding a 5 hours flight, so no Greek Islands, Cyprus, Canaries.
I have been looking around in Italy: in Tuscany prices are very high, let's go South as it is renowned that it is cheaper... and big surprise, whatever I could find responding to my long-long-long list of requirements was as expensive as Tuscany.
Remembering the past holidays the first idea went to Sicily, the swimming-pool style sea of Sciacca, or better closeby to Catania to add some visits to the Etna (too fantastic, is a place where for sure I will bring my family). Then thought mmmh maybe prices are better in Puglia, but since I have never been there nor I know anybody, really did not know where to look and got a bit lost. Between Sicily and Puglia there is also Calabria, so I asked one of my best friends and he said we absolutely have to go to Soverato or even better to Caminia. Try to google-image it and well, it is definitely worth.... but then again, very little choice of hotels, do not know anybody renting a house (and I would not know how to find one reliable), and prices comparable with Tuscany...
So unless my friend can come with some great offer in Soverato, I think I would go to another idea that I have never shared with the other half: Croatia. After a quick look I understood that September is still dry enough and with pleasant temperatures (around 20- 25 degrees) which should allow the three little ones to enjoy. Last, as my guru for Crete loves Croatia, and since Crete was so fantastic I am sure I can trust her again for advice, which is another big plus for this destination....

4 comments:

  1. What a surprise!! You have a blog! I didn't know... I'm so glad that you mentioned me and linked my pages. I have just added some pictures of Cres, however if you really want to visit Croatia next September I can suggest other places in the South. I suggest you Vis as it's a small island but blessed by a lot of small beaches and secluded coves and some of them are sandy, a rarity in Croatia! I read that you are also interested in Puglia. My husband is from Puglia and we often go there...I suggest you Otranto and Agriturismo L'Oleandro http://www.agriturismodeglioleandri.it/index.php in particular. We stayed there 2 years ago when Stella was 5 months old! :-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very interesting the one in Puglia... as it's 400m from the closeby beach, is it doable easily walking and with a pram?

      Delete
  2. Interesting! I also have the Canary and Greece on bucket list this year. After spending some great days on a cheap holidays to Cyprus last year, I wanted to soon visit some parts of Europe and Asia this year. Hope to get more inspiration for my next book. Informative blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the nice words! What are your books about?

    ReplyDelete