10 May 2012

Sunny holidays in september

My last days I have been very busy deciding where to go on holidays.
Every time I think I am close to the perfect place, some new requirement pops up in my head blowing it up.

So let's try to be more rational.
We are a family of two adults with 2 boys (3 and 1 year old).
Length is between 11 and 13 days (depending on flight and hotels availability)
We already made many experiences travelling, with only one kid and also with both, and we found out the following
- space: if we spend more than 3 days in a single room, we ALL get crazy. We prefer a mini apartment, kitchen is not necessary because we are lazy, but two rooms (bedroom+living) allow some running around.
- distance from airport: of course we do not want to spend hours travelling between airport and location, and at the same time we do not want the planes landing on our head.... well this does not look easy already
- beach: for me we should get a place on the beach, in particular sandy beach. Stones are hard, get too hot, and kids cannot build castles with them.
- swimming pool: my husband prefers a swimming pool. In that case I must add the requirement of a children swimming pool. Why on a sandy beach would you go to a swimming pool... here is where is getting more complex
- weather: of course September is not perfect in all locations, and we want zero risk of rain because this is the only sun we see the all year
- relatively safe/easy: with young kids, we still prefer not to get out of Europe.

After the above, we restricted to the following possible destinations:
Canarie islands, Rhodes, Crete

At the Canaries I have a friend with a house, but it is booked for the period we need :(
In September the Mediterranean sea is still quite warm, it would be a shame going at the Canaries where anyway you cannot bath (as literal translation of "fare il bagno" which is not necessarily swim, is more chill in the water) because it is too cold. Maybe Canaries are nice for the winter season.

To go to Rhodes and Crete from Amsterdam there is practically only a flight company, Transavia.
Then if we really really want to satisfy the swimming pool requirement, best is to go to a village. Besides checking D-reizen and Thomas Cook, I always end up looking directly in Neckermann and finding there better descriptions and deals. The village could be nice except the perfect village does not exist.  Either too expensive, or is in the middle of nowhere, or reviews are too bad (for that I use a lot Google and Tripadvisor), or location, or or or... shall I maybe stop looking for the perfect place?

For now let's focus only on Crete, or I really get crazy

I had a suggestion for a house in Crete in Paleochora (or however you want to spell it), Anthea Apartments.

Hotel beach - Hotel Sandy Beach
While it is close to two beaches, a sandy one and a stones one, and apparently inside a beautiful town, it does not have the swimming pool. And is at more than one hour from Chania airport.

So I went back to look at the villages, and while I have been suggested not to go to the North East of Crete, I found that the only side with sandy beaches is starting at Maleme then going direction of Chania. Chania itself looks really worth even more than a visit, however by checking with Google satellite maps I could see that the beaches are very tiny, with not much services (either two umbrellas and chairs from the closeby hotel or deserted), and the sand is actually mixed with pebbles (and then when you enter the water is only pebbles).... aargh, back to the beginning... shall I try Rhodes?

For now I am trying to convince myself (mostly my other half) that Paleochora is not so far from the airport and that the swimming pool is not strictly necessary.... Let's see where we end up in the coming days!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment